Ford Mustang | Mustangs  
Black Menu Tabs
Go Back   Mustangs Insanity > BS Area > Money Pit
Home Register Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read History Pictures/Videos Vendors Ford News

Money Pit
A Place to share pic's and conversations about your ongoing project/s.

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011   #1 (permalink)
130Stang

Friends: (14)

02-17-2014 04:31 PM
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 1 Day 3 Hours 56 Minutes 35 Seconds
My Album's:
Loadclr's album
My Garage:
Loadclr's Garage

Send a message via AIM to Loadclr Send a message via Yahoo to Loadclr
Long weekend

Thought I had a blown head gasket the other day as I was losing coolant and had steam coming out the exhaust. So I ordered a top end gasket set (Fel Pro) and went to take it out to my brother's so we could pull the heads and replace the gaskets. Went to start it and it turned over twice and stopped. Thought it was hurt real bad. Got it towed to by brother's place. We picked up the front end and went to drain the oil. The oil just dribbled out. My brother stuck his finger in the drain hole and felt a bolt move out of the way. We ended up dropping the k member so we could pull the pan to inspect the bottom end. Ended up that the botton end was fine, but when I had the oil pan replaced last year, they dropped a oil pump bolt and didn't fish it out or even tell me that it was there. The oil pump bolts were also finger loose and the pick up tube was not completely bolted down. We tightened the oil pump up after inspecting it and buttoned up the oil pan. The k member fought us a bit going back in and I had to replace the long bolts and most of them had rusted 1/4 to 1/2 through the stem. Springs fought us the most, but we got them in and every thing done.
We pulled the top end off and found lots of coolant in the cylinders, but the head gaskets were in perfect shape. We went back and looked at the heads and found that intake gaskets were junk and not the ones we installed originally. Seems that when they replaced the oil pan, instead of dropping the k member, they disconnected the tranny, the engine mount bolts/nuts and went to jacking the engine up for clearance. We figure that instead of removing the strut tower brace for clearance, they removed the intake. Many of the bolts on the top side were loose and just not well done. They also replaced the intake gasket with a crappy cheap one that blew or some how were ate out around the coolant passages letting coolant into the intake and the cylinders. We got it all cleaned out and dryed out, replaced the gaskets and buttoned things up. Runs like a raped ape now. I now have a shop on my list that will never touch my engine again. They do great tires and suspension work, but they will never touch my engine again. I will also be pressing them for some reimbursement which will be a free alignment at least if not more.

Body of an old man; Heart of a teenager

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"..........holy shit.......what a ride!"

I live with Fear everyday, but sometimes she lets me race............Fear Nothing

Improvise, adapt, overcome

Live in the country whose flag you want to fly!

Loadclr is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 09-05-2011   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Friends: (53)

09-25-2013 06:26 PM
Time Spent Online: 2 Weeks 1 Day 22 Hours 22 Minutes 29 Seconds
My Album's:
already7's album

Send a message via Yahoo to already7
Re: Long weekend

Damn I hate to hear that Mike, BUT then again it's good that you caught all their mistakes and made them right!
already7 is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 09-05-2011   #3 (permalink)
Insane

Friends: (5)

07-22-2013 05:23 PM
Time Spent Online: 1 Day 7 Hours 25 Minutes 26 Seconds

man mike that sucks but im glad there was no severe damage done. Glad its up and running again hopefully i'll have mine up and running soon (damn fuel pumps)
blackbetty88GT is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-06-2011   #4 (permalink)
Car Enthusiast

Twitter ID:
insanemustangs
Friends: (418)

09-23-2020 07:07 PM
Time Spent Online: 4 Weeks 11 Hours 43 Minutes N/A
My Album's:
hotwheels's album

I really hate shops for that reason. If they do something, they need to be honest and explain to the owners how they performed the job. Letting the owner find out down the road that they made a bunch of mistakes, is just wrong. Glad you guys were able to get things figured out.....

hotwheels is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-06-2011   #5 (permalink)
lichtyr

Friends: (2)

12-28-2017 09:08 AM
Time Spent Online: 4 Days 22 Hours 19 Minutes 16 Seconds
My Album's:
lichtyr's album
My Garage:
lichtyr's Garage

Send a message via MSN to lichtyr

Not all shops are bad you just have to find the honest ones i do almost all of my own work but when i cant i take my stuff to a shop here in town that I have gotten to know the owner well , they treat me well and do what I ask with the parts I ask them to use
just friday I went to them with a problem on a truck my son just bought and we rebuilt the engine in gthe guy Loaned me a diagnostic tool and gave me valuable info that helped me troubleshoot and repair the timeing modual in the dist he didnt have to do that but was willing to help as he knows I send him work and he appreciats it

Old 09-06-2011   #6 (permalink)
130Stang

Friends: (14)

02-17-2014 04:31 PM
Time Spent Online: 3 Weeks 1 Day 3 Hours 56 Minutes 35 Seconds
My Album's:
Loadclr's album
My Garage:
Loadclr's Garage

Send a message via AIM to Loadclr Send a message via Yahoo to Loadclr

I usually do most of my own work or have my brother help me. That way I know it's done right and what was done to it. I have used this shop for years for tires and suspension work and never had a problem. I had to use a shop for the oil pan replacement because that was what Jiffy Lube asked or my brother and I would have done it originally.
Loadclr is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-07-2011   #7 (permalink)
Car Enthusiast

Twitter ID:
insanemustangs
Friends: (418)

09-23-2020 07:07 PM
Time Spent Online: 4 Weeks 11 Hours 43 Minutes N/A
My Album's:
hotwheels's album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadclr View Post
I usually do most of my own work or have my brother help me. That way I know it's done right and what was done to it. I have used this shop for years for tires and suspension work and never had a problem. I had to use a shop for the oil pan replacement because that was what Jiffy Lube asked or my brother and I would have done it originally.
Totally understand man.......I too try to do all my own work, but sometimes you get busy with life and it seems easier at the time to let someone else do the work......sadly, this is what we get for letting our guard down.
hotwheels is offline Submit to Clesto

Mustangs Insanity > BS Area > Money Pit