Ford Mustang | Mustangs  
Black Menu Tabs
Go Back   Mustangs Insanity > BS Area > BS Room
Home Register Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read History Pictures/Videos Vendors Ford News

BS Room
BS about what ever you want to in here.

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009   #1 (permalink)
Gold Member

Friends: (2)

09-14-2010 09:40 AM
Time Spent Online: 1 Hour 13 Minutes 32 Seconds
My Album's:
cfiiman's album
Possible classic mustang purchase need advice/help

Hey guys,

Long time no talk. I sold my 96 cobra a while back and have been just sitting on the money waiting to jump on something I have "always" wanted. Been looking at everything out there from corvettes to porsches. Anyway most of what I want is outside the budget I have put together and promised myself I wouldn't go over (isn't that always the way it is ) Anyway I came across something really interesting that I have always wanted. A 1971 Mach 1. It is in awesome shape inside/out/mechanically. Nor showroom cond. or anything but very nice. The only issue I see with it is the damn color, it is yellow/black and I don't care for that combination that much. I was thinking I could always get it repainted someday or something. I really would like it to be completely black like Steven Segalls car in Hard to Kill, remember ahhahahaha, you know you do! Anyway so what is something like that worth? I have no idea really and I looked on ebay and see them from 10-30K so I was like WTF??? Any advice someone on here that actually knows a decent price range for this car would help me immensly. I am planning to check it out in the next day or so. Thanks!

Jason
90' 5.0 Paxton S/C Convertible
cfiiman is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 02-02-2009   #2 (permalink)
computer killer

Re: Possible classic mustang purchase need advice/help

I will try to get some info for you later today. Most of the old cars have a huge range depending on what shape it is in. What motor/trans does it have. I assume the interior is black. Those are not the most popular years so that will help you out some. They are also not the least favorite either. I remember driving one years ago and looking out the back glass from inside the car it looked like you are looking through a mail slot. I had some good times in a 72 back in high school. A girl friend had one with a 351 and it ran pretty good for a big car. I will try to post up some info later. One thing to look at on ebay is to do a search and look at what the cars actually sold for. I will try to see what section to go to so you can find it. Alot of people jack the prices of their stuff to try to find a sucker. But they do have a place that shows whether the car sold or not after the fact.

The easiest way to meet him is to trespass.
trueblue02 is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 02-02-2009   #3 (permalink)
Gold Member

Friends: (2)

09-14-2010 09:40 AM
Time Spent Online: 1 Hour 13 Minutes 32 Seconds
My Album's:
cfiiman's album

Tru, thanks, It has the 351 and is a 4 speed car. NADA books it at 18 low to mid 40's high. I can pick the car up for around 10k that is why I am interested, but again I know nothing about them so I don't know if it is a good deal or not really. He said it is not perfect but in great shape, has some minor rust in places (not sure where or how much), here is a pic of the car:
Attached Thumbnails
Possible classic mustang purchase need advice/help-3k53mf3pd12b14813891kb2db8abe89321d67.jpg  
cfiiman is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 02-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
computer killer

It is probably a good deal if the rust is easily fixed. If you go to ebay a go to your search for 71-73 there is a tab that says price research. Click on it and it will give you a choice of completed listings. The ones with the green price means the car sold. Or at least as far ebay can tell it sold. There are only 2 sold 71's since Jan 19 and they sold for 6600 FB and 5000 CP. The Fb was in rough shape but is a 2 owner car. There are about 10 73's that sold and they ranged from 800 to 13750 for a very nice conv. I will try to check the collector car book at my dads car lot later today. I did not look at the 72's but I figure there will be a few sold cars. Good Luck. Is it close so you can check it out?

Old 02-03-2009   #5 (permalink)

Friends: (3)

06-24-2011 12:12 AM
Time Spent Online: 1 Day 11 Hours 46 Minutes 40 Seconds

10 isn't a bad price depending on what you notice when you see it. If it needs new floors and quarter panels, maybe not. True they are not the most popular now but wait 20yrs and they will be worth something. You will also want to do some research and see if it is numbers matching, original motor and trans. Because this will add to value, but if you want to paint it it takes away from it. The 351 4spd is not anything special for that year. Special would be the 428 or something along that line. I think 71, maybe 72 was the last year they offered that. I personally love those cars and thats what I was looking for when i got my 66. Numbers matching and all means a good investment. If you are just looking for fun, it comes down to what you like, and 10k isn't bad for a vehicle that you like, depending on work needed. Try and think about it as if you could get that out of it when you want to sell it. Since it is a classic, it will probably, almost 100%, go up in value with time. When you are looking on EBAY and such also look at what the car was. Was it original? Was it a real 428 car? That is probably where you are getting the very high numbers from. Also think about rust issues that it may have, if it is in the quarters or something that will need paint, that will reduce value, but if you are planning on painting it anyway that doesn't matter. If it is floor boards, that is easily covered and just takes labor.

Old 02-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
computer killer

I checked the CPI book and the prices start at 8,500 and go up to 15,250 for nice and 28,950 for perfect. The 4 spd is not rare but there were a lot more autos in those years. I don't think you will see a 71 go for 28,950 unless it has no miles and looks like it has never been driven. Around where I live you won't get 15,000 for any thing less than a perfect car. In my opinion if it is in pretty good shape it may be worth 10,000. Just be sure to check it to the best of your ability before paying that much. But in the end it is your decision. I do think those cars are going to go up in value.

Mustangs Insanity > BS Area > BS Room