Ford Mustang | Mustangs  
Black Menu Tabs
Go Back   Mustangs Insanity > Ford Motor Company News > Ford Racing News
Home Register Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read History Pictures/Videos Vendors Ford News

Ford Racing News NHRA, IHRA,FFW, NMRA, and WFC

Comment

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Article Tools Display Modes
Eight fans injured in Edwards wreck

Published by hotwheels
04-26-2009

Eight spectators suffered injuries at the end of the Aaron's 499 Sunday when the No. 99 Ford of Carl Edwards went airborne and slammed into the catchfence on the frontstretch.

"None of the injuries are dangerous or life-threatening," said Dr. Bobby Lewis, medical director at Talladega Superspeedway. "It's mostly bumps and bruises with possible minor fractures."

Two women were airlifted to an area hospital, but Lewis said that was for traffic concerns and not because of the severity of their injuries.

"One has a lacerated lip and possible broken jaw," Lewis said. "The other person was not injured, but has unrelated medical problems."

Edwards was leading the race about 500 yards before the finish line when he tried to block Brad Keselowski from passing him. But Edwards hit the right front quarter panel of Keselowski's car.

It caused Edwards' car to spin before it came off the pavement and flew into the fencing above the outside wall.

"NASCAR puts us in this box [restrictor-plate racing] and will race this way until they kill somebody," Edwards said. "Then they'll change it. We're very lucky nobody got [seriously] hurt today."

When the car hit the catchfence, pieces exploded off the car as catch fencing bent back severely, but did not break.

"I'm not sure if it was pieces of car or pieces of debris from the fence that hurt the spectators," Lewis said.
Article Tools

Attached Thumbnails
Eight fans injured in Edwards wreck-edwards.jpg  
91stang308 on 04-26-2009
Re: Eight fans injured in Edwards wreck

holy shit that would suck....glad it didnt seriously hurt someone
Intmdtr on 04-26-2009

thats real shitty
No1FordGirl on 04-26-2009

Always the chance ya gotta take, right. Still glad no one was seriously injured.
already7 on 04-26-2009

I am glad that no one was seriously hurt or killed either!

I love NASCAR!!!
I too wish that they would kill that damn restrictor plate racing, even if they forced them to run a lower gear in the rear end! It would still let the faster cars break out and would possibly split the pack into several smaller packs. 2 packs of cars are not spread out far enough when you consider how dam fast they are going. 15-20 cars bunched up bumper to bumper is just begging for trouble. That's how the "Big One" always happens.
trueblue02 on 04-27-2009

I am glad no one was hurt and I wanted him to win.
Nelos04 on 04-27-2009

good to hear nobody was hurt but I think nascar gets too boring until some real action happends.
Comment

Mustangs Insanity > Ford Motor Company News > Ford Racing News