Ford Mustang | Mustangs  
Black Menu Tabs
Go Back   Mustangs Insanity > BS Area > BS Room
Home Register Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read History Pictures/Videos Vendors Ford News

BS Room
BS about what ever you want to in here.

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
Gold Member

Friends: (2)

06-24-2012 05:32 AM
Time Spent Online: 20 Hours 21 Minutes 12 Seconds
My Album's:
tajmas's album
Rear Rebuild

How difficult is it to re-do a rear? And where would there be a reliable source of do it yourself information. I have all the parts, axles, diff, gears, install kit, cover. They want 4-$500 to do it, and I haven't had much work coming in lately, so I thought I'd try it myself. I think I just have to send out to get the stuff on the old axles pressed onto the new ones, and have the tubes welded. As far as tools, I thought I could do the tool loaning thing from Auto-Zone. So anyway I just want to find out if I'm taking a chance of pissing $1200 worth of parts away in order to save $500.
tajmas is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 01-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Adminz Guy

Friends: (47)

02-18-2012 07:50 AM
Time Spent Online: 5 Days 1 Hour 55 Minutes 7 Seconds
My Album's:
SpdBoss's album
My Garage:
SpdBoss's Garage

Send a message via AIM to SpdBoss Send a message via MSN to SpdBoss Send a message via Yahoo to SpdBoss
Re: Rear Rebuild

the main thing is making sure you get the gears set right or you'll get vibrations, noises and your gears will wear horribly.

i'll see if i can find some write-ups on the gears for ya.

-------- added 2 Minutes and 51 Seconds later --------

http://www.differentials.com/install.html

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

http://www.drivetrain.com/ringpinioninstal.html

Last edited by SpdBoss; 01-03-2009 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
SpdBoss is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 01-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Friends: (53)

09-25-2013 06:26 PM
Time Spent Online: 2 Weeks 1 Day 22 Hours 22 Minutes 29 Seconds
My Album's:
already7's album

Send a message via Yahoo to already7

I checked on getting some done for a friend, and the local shop said $250 to do a complete Master install.

I will give you this much advice man, if you don't have a good understanding of setting the gears up, then let a shop do it, because it's not worth ruining your gears.
It could mean the difference in your gears lasting years, or only lasting months... Good luck on it whatever you decide.
already7 is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 01-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Adminz Guy

Friends: (47)

02-18-2012 07:50 AM
Time Spent Online: 5 Days 1 Hour 55 Minutes 7 Seconds
My Album's:
SpdBoss's album
My Garage:
SpdBoss's Garage

Send a message via AIM to SpdBoss Send a message via MSN to SpdBoss Send a message via Yahoo to SpdBoss

yeah, installers in this area usually charge $250 as well for a master install - gears, bearings, shims, gaskets.
SpdBoss is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 01-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
Welcoming Moderator

Friends: (18)

04-21-2015 05:48 PM
Time Spent Online: 2 Weeks 2 Days 6 Hours 4 Minutes 6 Seconds

Send a message via Yahoo to poneyexpress

I've installed gears in a old 4X4 i had , with the help of my cousin. He's a deisel mechanic, and has his own shop. If you have never done this before no nothing about it . Let a shop do it , you'll be money and time ahead. Not saying you can't do it but , if you don't get pinion depth and the backlash set right. you'll be right back in it.
Tork Tech Intercooled Supercharger Kit ,MOROSO blowby catch can , Fluidyne 2 core radiator, BBK longtube headers W/matching H-pipe, Magnaflow cat back, SCT tunner, MGW shifter,13" Cobra brake up-grade kit, FRPP 3.73 gears, Trick Flow diff cover,SPEC stage 2 clutch , FRPP aluminum drive shaft ,MM castercamber plates , H&R race springs, Bilstein struts and shocks , Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors , UPR Pro Street adjustable upper and lower control arms .
poneyexpress is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 01-04-2009   #6 (permalink)
Gold Member

My Album's:
tajmas's album

Yeah that's kinda what I'm thinkin'. I don't wanta mess it up, I have to much money into the parts to throw it away. I'd still like to do it sometime under the watchful eye of experience though. I'm gonna look around some more, for prices. I'm thinkin everything seems to cost more in the northeast, which sux. Thanks for all your help, I'll see what I can come up with.

Old 01-04-2009   #7 (permalink)

Friends: (5)

10-15-2014 11:51 PM
Time Spent Online: 4 Days 10 Hours 26 Minutes 49 Seconds
My Album's:
BB90GT's album
My Garage:
BB90GT's Garage

I will say this as far as the price goes. I had "Performance shop" here in the local area charge me 350.00 to install a new set of gears. I have only put 485 miles on the car since the gears where installed and they are already making noise. So here is my opinion on the money SPEND IT and get someone who has a good rep to do the work. We are doing a 9" install on my fox and I had to pay a guy 430 bucks to set up the gears in the 3rd member all because i switched from the true trac that came in the 3rd member to a detroit locker. So look at it this way your still ahead of me I am 2200 into the rear end now including the other gear install in the 8.8. Just my opinion

Old 01-05-2009   #8 (permalink)
Gold Member

My Album's:
tajmas's album

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB90GT View Post
I will say this as far as the price goes. I had "Performance shop" here in the local area charge me 350.00 to install a new set of gears. I have only put 485 miles on the car since the gears where installed and they are already making noise. So here is my opinion on the money SPEND IT and get someone who has a good rep to do the work. We are doing a 9" install on my fox and I had to pay a guy 430 bucks to set up the gears in the 3rd member all because i switched from the true trac that came in the 3rd member to a detroit locker. So look at it this way your still ahead of me I am 2200 into the rear end now including the other gear install in the 8.8. Just my opinion
Just curious why you switched from the tru-trac, because that's what I bought, and I'm hoping it's for application purposes and not a quality issue.

Mustangs Insanity > BS Area > BS Room