Ford Mustang | Mustangs  
Black Menu Tabs
Go Back   Mustangs Insanity > Mustang Talk > Mustangs > 2005 - 2009 Mustangs > 4.6L V8 Specific
Home Register Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read History Pictures/Videos Vendors Ford News

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010   #1 (permalink)
Gold Member

Friends: (2)

09-14-2010 09:40 AM
Time Spent Online: 1 Hour 13 Minutes 32 Seconds
My Album's:
cfiiman's album
My new toy need advice quick on striping her...

Hey everyone,

As some might know I have been looking at getting an 04 terminator but to my suprise my Dad wanted to get rid of his 06 GT Convertible. I hand picked this car for him a few years ago and he has had it since about 20K miles. It is in perfect cond. with about 43K miles now. He gave it to me for such an incredible deal I just couldn't pass it up, so I am the proud owner of the car now. Anyway it is a triple black vert and I want to do a 10" stripe kit on the car. I have taken it to a premier body shop in the area that has done a lot of them and they recommend vinyl instead of paint b/c they said it can be changed if I change my mind and it is easier/less expensive and b/c that is the way ford does them from the factory. The cost to stripe the car with everything (parts, tax, etc.) is 425.00, which I think is a pretty fair price. My question is, is vinyl graphics the way to go, is this truly what ford uses on their cars from the factory? What about longevity of the vinyl etc. I don't mind paying more for the paint but this guy REALLY does not want to paint them, he is pushing hard for the decals, let me know please, I told him I would give him an answer this afternoon, thanks!!!

edit: Also I need to know the dimensions, I assumed 10", but am I right, I like the width of the shelby gt500 stripes, please let me know, thanks.
90' 5.0 Paxton S/C Convertible

Last edited by cfiiman; 09-08-2010 at 08:32 AM..
cfiiman is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 09-08-2010   #2 (permalink)
Tyre Fryer

Friends: (4)

07-01-2013 06:39 PM
Time Spent Online: 5 Days 9 Hours 36 Minutes 23 Seconds
My Album's:
dvofordman's album

Re: My new toy need advice quick on striping her...

Well, he is right about the factory using vinyl, like on the shelby gt500's etc. I personally think the vinyl does not look near as good as painted stripes, but he is correct about the cost too. If you have the stripes painted, they have to sand down the car, lay the stripes perfectly, then re-clearcoat basically the whole car (minus the doors and front fenders). That costs a-lot. I have the price from the dealership that painted my stripes: about $3,000 with their mark-up. I wouldn't have paid that much, but that's what the dealership put on the window sticker. If I were you, I would go to some car shows and check out the stripes and graphics on the cars and see what you prefer. Obviously the vinyl won't be protected by clear coat like the paint, but wax will keep it from discoloring. Or you can put new vinyl on later, change the color, etc.

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 09-08-2010   #3 (permalink)
lichtyr

12-28-2017 09:08 AM
Time Spent Online: 4 Days 22 Hours 19 Minutes 16 Seconds
My Album's:
lichtyr's album
My Garage:
lichtyr's Garage

Send a message via MSN to lichtyr

I would love to had mine Painted but the vinyl was the factory option when I bought my car it looks good and is easy to maintain, mine has been setting outside for the last year for no other reason than the garage is full of a project car i am building. I can say it looks as nice today as it did when i bought the car I also understand the new vinyl ones dont deteriat like the old stuff did IE look at the trans am after 5 years not good I personally would not have paid the difference in cost to paint if down the road I dont like it It can be removesd easily and affordably

Old 09-08-2010   #4 (permalink)
computer killer

I would definately use vinyl. I tend to change my mind sometimes.

The easiest way to meet him is to trespass.
trueblue02 is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-09-2010   #5 (permalink)
Gold Member

My Album's:
cfiiman's album

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies, well here is what I found out. Even though this is a really good body shop I was just bothered b/c he was so much lower then what people have been saying on the web. For example you just said 3000.00 to paint them, well he told me 600.00, however that didn't include clearcoating anything but the stripes which is probably not the way to go. Anyway, the vinyl seemed low to me too at 425 total so I checked around and feel like 800.00 is probably what I should be paying, so either A) the guy doesn't know what is involved or B) he is not that experienced doing these, either way I decided against this bodyshop for that reason.

I contacted the best graphics place in my area, they specialize in car wraps, graphics etc. The do work for West Coast Customs in LA even! So they told me they were very familiar with the car, knew everything involved to make it perfect but it was going to be about twice what the other body shop quoted, around 700-800 bucks. I am much more comfortable paying these guys more to do it perfect then dealing with a mediocre job and trying to get it right you know?

Now the only question is the hood, I really want to change it to a "Shaker Hood" kit with the functional ram air, does anyone know about these???? How is my GT Scoop attached, can I just pull it off without damaging the hood so I can install the shaker??? Is the shaker system difficult, it doesn't look like it and I have installed superchargers, etc. so I feel competent to do the work, just wonder if anyone else has, and where is the best place to get one of these kits? I thought blue oval industries b/c they are the cheapest but man they have an awful rep. and a bad standing with the BBB. Thanks guys, it is good to be in the mustang club again!

Old 09-09-2010   #6 (permalink)
Leader of Men

Friends: (34)

05-14-2017 04:52 AM
Time Spent Online: 2 Weeks 5 Days 22 Hours 16 Minutes 43 Seconds
My Album's:
Intmdtr's album
My Garage:
Intmdtr's Garage

Send a message via MSN to Intmdtr

I have seen a few people having good results on the CDC hood shaker kits.

Classic Design Concepts Shaker System

and the install

CDC Shaker Hood System Install

"Without Warning, Without Conscience"

"Live life to the fullest, it's not a dress rehearsal"
Intmdtr is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-10-2010   #7 (permalink)
Gold Member

Friends: (1)

10-29-2012 08:28 PM
Time Spent Online: 2 Days 12 Hours 18 Minutes 56 Seconds
My Album's:
dseward's album
My Garage:
dseward's Garage

WOW 800 no way!! I bought my 06 and had a guy at the dealership tape it for me and it was only 300. You want thinner vinyl as well as the thicker stuff tends to crack.

I am all about quality but 800 just seems to be taking you for a very expensive and un-necessary ride! Most people dont want to paint because it is unforgivable tape can be moved and slid to be straight.

The CDC system is easy and affordable. It will still involve your current airbox and filter as long as you are good cutting sheet metal you should be fine.

Last edited by dseward; 09-10-2010 at 06:52 PM..
dseward is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-10-2010   #8 (permalink)
Gold Member

11-28-2013 08:54 PM
Time Spent Online: 1 Week 5 Days 13 Hours 40 Minutes 30 Seconds
My Album's:
buddy07's album
My Garage:
buddy07's Garage

I went with the vinyl. Had it installed by the guy that does all Ford s coming out of the local dealership. In Jan 2007 it was $385. I watched him do it as he told me all his dirty little application secrets.
Well worth it in my book.

Old 09-10-2010   #9 (permalink)
Gold Member

Friends: (1)

10-29-2012 08:28 PM
Time Spent Online: 2 Days 12 Hours 18 Minutes 56 Seconds
My Album's:
dseward's album
My Garage:
dseward's Garage

I just want to let you know that the 3M tape you are most likely going to get will only actually cost about 70 bucks. It comes in that width already. The biggest part is the labor to ensure they are straight. I outlined mine with another small pinstripe and it was still only 300.

Dont waste money
dseward is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-11-2010   #10 (permalink)
Gold Member

My Album's:
cfiiman's album

Wow, good to know, I thought 425 was way to cheap, sounds like it is right on, I am worried about them doing it right over the gt hood scoop though, the estimater seemed to be like "huh, oh yeah, I get that" and that is what bothered me but maybe their guy doing it will be ok. Maybe I should just see if I can meet the guy that will be doing it and talk it over with him first???? Do you think the body shop would let me do that, is that ok to ask to do??? Thanks,.

Mustangs Insanity > Mustang Talk > Mustangs > 2005 - 2009 Mustangs > 4.6L V8 Specific