Ford Mustang | Mustangs  
Black Menu Tabs
Go Back   Mustangs Insanity > Mustang Talk > Mustangs > 4.6 Mustang
Home Register Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read History Pictures/Videos Vendors Ford News

4.6 Mustang Discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Mustangs

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007   #1 (permalink)
Finally Back Home!!

Friends: (11)

06-21-2013 03:05 PM
Time Spent Online: 1 Week 2 Days 22 Hours 47 Minutes 45 Seconds
My Album's:
einehund's album

Underdrive pulleys

Am getting a set of underdrive pulleys. anything i should know, like, should i get a more powerful alternator to compensate for the lower spin speed? how easy are they to get off? Do I need a pulley puller or will elbow grease and some cuss words get the job done?
einehund is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 09-07-2007   #2 (permalink)
Nitrous Injected

Friends: (0)

11-18-2007 08:38 AM
Time Spent Online: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by einehund View Post
Am getting a set of underdrive pulleys. anything i should know, like, should i get a more powerful alternator to compensate for the lower spin speed? how easy are they to get off? Do I need a pulley puller or will elbow grease and some cuss words get the job done?
dont change the alternator pulley if you've still go the stock alternator because you'll end up havin to buy a new alternator a few weeks because it spins it slower which causes it not to charge correctly (thats what happened to mine anyway). you'll probly need to get a high performance alternator if you're gonna change the pulley on it. i went to autozone and did their loan a tool thing and borrowed a pulley puller and cuss words and elbow grease are a must.

-2002 Mustang GT
-2000 S-10 Xtreme
-2003 GSXR 600

Last edited by juiced2002gt; 09-07-2007 at 11:05 AM..
juiced2002gt is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 09-07-2007   #3 (permalink)
j-rich65

Friends: (0)

08-13-2008 04:30 PM
Time Spent Online: N/A
My Album's:
j-rich65's album
use a puller it is a press on pulley, it also a good idea to use an installer as well because if you try to tap into place you could damage the crank thrust bearing, the puller you use should match up to the three threaded bolt holes already in the damper, do not use a jaw style puller, you could damage the pulley
j-rich65 is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-07-2007   #4 (permalink)
Re Member

Friends: (1)

06-26-2011 06:57 AM
Time Spent Online: 1 Day 10 Hours 43 Minutes 36 Seconds
My Album's:
lostsohcs's album

I recently put on a set of Steeda Pulleys. It took about 2 and a half hours. There were really no problems. Torqueing the crankshaft pulley was the hardest part. If you have an impact wrench I would highly recommend using it. I removed the overflow and fan from the radiator and there was plenty of room for a half inch impact. No charging or cooling problems after a couple thousand miles.
lostsohcs is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-07-2007   #5 (permalink)
Gold Member

Friends: (10)

05-04-2011 02:06 PM
Time Spent Online: 10 Hours 41 Minutes 49 Seconds
My Album's:
treman03's album

Send a message via Yahoo to treman03
I've had mine on quite awhile now and I haven't had a problem with anything yet.. Not that bad to put on either, just alittle time.. You will need an impact wrench to replace the alt. pulley if you decide too....

*SOLD* And I do miss the car.

2000 GT, JBA headers, JBA H-Pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, JLT CAI, Steeda Timing Adjuster, Ported & Polished TB and Plenum, Underdrive Pullies, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs, MM CC Plates
treman03 is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-07-2007   #6 (permalink)
stangbanger

Friends: (8)

03-29-2011 06:09 PM
Time Spent Online: 4 Days 8 Hours 17 Minutes 39 Seconds
My Album's:
silvergt's album
i bought the moto blue pullies from rpm outlet for my 2000 gt. they are really nice parts! made a nice difference in the way the car pulls. seems like it revs more freely now too! you will need an impact to get the alt. pulley off and a puller for the balancer. not a bad job, it only took about 1.5 hours to do in the 95 degree heat a couple weeks ago. make sure to draw a picture of how ur belt goes. my car was missing the sticker!
silvergt is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-07-2007   #7 (permalink)
Finally Back Home!!

Friends: (11)

06-21-2013 03:05 PM
Time Spent Online: 1 Week 2 Days 22 Hours 47 Minutes 45 Seconds
My Album's:
einehund's album

thanks. i can steal a pully puller from the bradley mechanics at work.
einehund is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 09-12-2007   #8 (permalink)

Friends: (1)

06-12-2013 08:11 PM
Time Spent Online: 57 Minutes 38 Seconds
My Album's:
Samsstang's album

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced2002gt View Post
dont change the alternator pulley if you've still go the stock alternator because you'll end up havin to buy a new alternator a few weeks because it spins it slower which causes it not to charge correctly (thats what happened to mine anyway). you'll probly need to get a high performance alternator if you're gonna change the pulley on it. i went to autozone and did their loan a tool thing and borrowed a pulley puller and cuss words and elbow grease are a must.
Not really!!! on the older Mustangs specifically the 5.0s (fox bodied) this was a common problem! On the new edge Stangs Ford actually went with smaller diameter pulleys and i believe a stronger Amp alternator. Thats why you dont see such a big gain like you would on the Old 5.0s from a pulley swap. Ive had my FRPP U/Ds on my 99GT since 2000 and i have never swapped out my Altenator! As a matter of fact i had the original Motorcraft batterie til "05" before it had to be replaced

04 SVT Cobra
Samsstang is offline Submit to Clesto

Mustangs Insanity > Mustang Talk > Mustangs > 4.6 Mustang