Ford Mustang | Mustangs  
Black Menu Tabs
Go Back   Mustangs Insanity > Mustang Talk > Mustangs > 4.6 Mustang
Home Register Members List Social Groups Mark Forums Read History Pictures/Videos Vendors Ford News

4.6 Mustang Discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Mustangs

Bookmark and Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007   #1 (permalink)
Gold Member

Friends: (2)

09-14-2010 09:40 AM
Time Spent Online: 1 Hour 13 Minutes 32 Seconds
My Album's:
cfiiman's album
Possible first problem with my 96 Cobra Please help

Hey guys,

So today I was out playin around in the Cobra...Hit it a few times in 1st gear to about 4K RPM's nothing big just playin...Anyway sitting at a stoplight I smelled something weird, almost like gas but not quite, but definately a chemical smell, almost like gas rich exhaust or a cross between gas and exhaust smell is the best I can describe it...Anyway everything is perfect on my car so I just thought it was someone elses car until I smelled it at a parking lot and I knew it was me, "craaaaaaapppp" I thought....So it is not terribly strong, but noticeble if you are stopped in traffic...So I popped the hood and smelled around, I pinpointed the smell to be coming from the MAF...I don't know what the hell could be going on there but that is where it is coming from...Any ideas on what it is???...I am guessing the smell has to be coming down the intake and exiting there???...I don't get it, and like I said it isn't totally gas like you would smell from a leaky injector, it is weird like a cross between gas/exhaust...I can also smell it up at the top of the intake where the TB is but it isn't as pronounced there...I thought it was an injector but if you turn the car off the and smell directly over the injectors you can't smell anything, only at the MAF or when running at the MAF and the top of the intake/TB area...Please help!!!

Jason
90' 5.0 Paxton S/C Convertible
cfiiman is offline Submit to Clesto

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 05-08-2007   #2 (permalink)
Gold Member

My Album's:
cfiiman's album
Anyone?

Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Jeqq Submit to Spurl  
Old 05-08-2007   #3 (permalink)
Re Member

Friends: (1)

06-26-2011 06:57 AM
Time Spent Online: 1 Day 10 Hours 43 Minutes 36 Seconds
My Album's:
lostsohcs's album

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
Hey guys,

So today I was out playin around in the Cobra...Hit it a few times in 1st gear to about 4K RPM's nothing big just playin...Anyway sitting at a stoplight I smelled something weird, almost like gas but not quite, but definately a chemical smell, almost like gas rich exhaust or a cross between gas and exhaust smell is the best I can describe it...Anyway everything is perfect on my car so I just thought it was someone elses car until I smelled it at a parking lot and I knew it was me, "craaaaaaapppp" I thought....So it is not terribly strong, but noticeble if you are stopped in traffic...So I popped the hood and smelled around, I pinpointed the smell to be coming from the MAF...I don't know what the hell could be going on there but that is where it is coming from...Any ideas on what it is???...I am guessing the smell has to be coming down the intake and exiting there???...I don't get it, and like I said it isn't totally gas like you would smell from a leaky injector, it is weird like a cross between gas/exhaust...I can also smell it up at the top of the intake where the TB is but it isn't as pronounced there...I thought it was an injector but if you turn the car off the and smell directly over the injectors you can't smell anything, only at the MAF or when running at the MAF and the top of the intake/TB area...Please help!!!

Jason
I am not sure about on a 96 Cobra specifically, but most hot wire MAF's superheat the hot wire that measures the air flow periodically to burn off dirt etc. that settles on the surface. Sometimes you get an oil smell, especially when using a K&N filter. If your lucky this is all it is.
lostsohcs is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 05-08-2007   #4 (permalink)
Gold Member

My Album's:
cfiiman's album
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsohcs View Post
I am not sure about on a 96 Cobra specifically, but most hot wire MAF's superheat the hot wire that measures the air flow periodically to burn off dirt etc. that settles on the surface. Sometimes you get an oil smell, especially when using a K&N filter. If your lucky this is all it is.
Hmmm, that would be nice...It is weird b/c it just started out of thin air today, at a light and smelled it...I need to check into that, the smell doesn't smell like oil though, and I don't use a K&N...Does anyone know anything else about this superheating????...Would it help to remove the MAF and clean it and put it back or what????...Thanks,

Jason

Old 05-08-2007   #5 (permalink)
Gold Member

My Album's:
cfiiman's album
Hey I found this on the web:

"Some symptoms of Mass Air Flow(MAF) meter failure is a rich or lean mixture depending on what is happening in the unit. The Oxygen Sensor will try to compensate for some of the activity through the computer but once the system goes out of preset bounds the "Check Engine" light will turn on. If the Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) is failing you may notice a flat spot while accelerating lightly away from traffic light and at cruising speeds. The check engine light may or may not come on depending on the programming in the ECM. If the Air Temperature switch fails the check engine light will turn on.

If the check engine light is not on and you are experiencing hesitation, flooding, hard starting, or the smell of gas, check the air filter, fuel filter, and plugs & wires. There are no sensors built in to the system that will tell if these parts are failing. If a cylinder is not firing as caused by a shorting plug wire the system goes full rich. It gives you great power but it greatly reduces your fuel economy of your vehicle and the converter gets very hot and can become damaged. "

I forgot to mention my car has a hesitation everytime around 3K rpms when getting on it, it just like stops for a second and then goes...Could my MAF be crapping b/c it is dirty or whatever and causing the rich "smell" condition like the above might suggest...I think maybe I should clean it tomorrow with carb cleaner and see what that does, both for hesitation and the smell...I looked at my air filter a while back and I didn't notice that it was that dirty, I'll check it again...Any other Ideas????...I'll let you all know...

Last edited by cfiiman; 05-08-2007 at 09:37 PM..

Old 05-08-2007   #6 (permalink)
roush17

Time Spent Online: N/A
My Album's:
roush17's album
Do you have a midpipe on the car. I know this probably isn't it but a midpipe will make the exhaust smell very evident.
Submit to Clesto

Old 05-08-2007   #8 (permalink)
Raptor 6.2

Friends: (25)

12-07-2013 03:00 PM
Time Spent Online: 1 Week 2 Days 12 Hours 48 Minutes 27 Seconds
My Album's:
bobbys97R's album

damn never heard of that very strange.

Old 05-09-2007   #9 (permalink)
Car Enthusiast

Twitter ID:
insanemustangs
Friends: (418)

12-11-2016 01:50 AM
Time Spent Online: 4 Weeks 11 Hours 19 Minutes 49 Seconds
My Album's:
hotwheels's album

How old is your air filter jason?

hotwheels is offline Submit to Clesto

Old 05-09-2007   #10 (permalink)
Gold Member

My Album's:
cfiiman's album
Doug,

I'm embarrassed to say but I don't know, it was the one in the car when I bought it...It looked ok when I had it out but I wasn't really looking at it...

No midpipe, car is bone stock

I am gonna try to clean the maf and I will go get an air filter on the way home, man I hope this fixes it, I really don't want to take it to the dealer...The thing is when you pinpoint a smell you can usually see it you know...Like an injector will have fuel residue and stuff, but this is just a weird exhaust like/gas like smell right concentrated at the MAF...I don't get it...Any other ideas?...Could a dirty air filter cause this?....

Thanks guys,

Jason

Mustangs Insanity > Mustang Talk > Mustangs > 4.6 Mustang